Key benefits of Essence Medical Cosmetic Clinic
- Consultation and treatment is undertaken by Dr Kieren Bong who is an international speaker and trainer in aesthetic facial procedures
- Dr Kieren Bong is widely recognised as one of the industry's experts
- Essence Medical in Glasgow only uses the very best market-leading brands
- We offer virtually pain-free treatment
- Excellent post treatment care will follow after two weeks
- Dr Kieren Bong is often featured in numerous national and international magazines and newspapers
Jaw line reduction
- Improved, feminine appearance
- Specialised Botox technique
- No scars, pain or downtime
- Impressive, quick, affordable results
While a strong, square jawline can be distinctly masculine and desirable in male patients, many female patients are seeking softer more feminized shape to their face. Particularly in Asian females, changing the shape of the face from square to a more attractive oval shape can add a more gentle graceful appearance.
Jaw reduction surgery used to be the only option for many patients. However, patients had long recovery times, inconsistent and unnatural results. Now a medication which contains Botulinum Toxin Type-A has revolutionized facial reshaping. This medication allows for changing the shape of the face without a scalpel, pain, swelling and zero downtime.
Jaw reduction injection is a specialized technique to reduce the width of the jawline, changing an overly square jawline to a more attractive oval or heart shaped face. In some patients, the masseter muscle, a chewing muscle, is enlarged creating extra facial width. Jaw reduction injection selectively weakens this muscle over time leading to an overall reduction in the size of this muscle.
Jaw line reduction FAQ
We encourage all our prospective patients to make an appointment for a consultation. A consultation prior to any treatment is required. During the consultation, we will analyse your issues, examine your face and discuss the range of treatment options available. There is absolutely no obligation at all for you to take up any treatment and the consultation may or may not lead to your having this treatment.
What is Jaw Reduction Injection?
Jaw reduction injection is a treatment where a medication which contains Botulinum Toxin Type-A is injected into the muscles of the jaw (called the masseter muscle) to reduce its size. In some ethnicities, patients have a tendency to develop overly square facial features. This treatment may reduce the overall size of the masseter muscle, allowing for improved facial proportions in a non-invasive manner.
How does jaw reduction injection vary from jaw reduction surgery?
Jaw reduction injection can create a natural, subtle improvement to the area without any of the downtime or potential complications. On the other hand, jaw reduction surgery can cause sensation issues, dental alignment issues, and potential for pain along the TMJ area. Jaw reduction injection is actually one of the treatments for TMJ discomfort.
Can you experience any pain initially when eating? Do you need to restrict your diet immediately after the treatment?
There is no pain with eating. However we recommend the restriction of gum chewing, chewy candies, tougher meat products, jerky meat products and cuttle fish as they can promote masseter fullness.
Initial phase consists of 2-3 treatments, how long does that last?
We recommend that you are treated with a second treatment 2-4 months after the first treatment. Most patients do not need a third treatment, however, for patients seeking further correction this can be redone.
How often does it need to be re-done?
After 2 treatments, most patients do not need additional treatments.. Those that seek in further contouring typically come for repeat injections every 6-8 months.
If I stop practicing some negative personal habits like chewing tougher meats or chewing gum, do I still need this treatment?
Yes, since the muscle will not shrink (atrophy) on its own. This treatment will change the physical mass of the muscle and make it less prominent.
Is there anyone who could not have this treatment due to medical issues or existing dental complications?
Any patient who has a neuromuscular disorder such as Myasthensia Gravis or Lambert Eaton Syndrome should not have this treatment. In addition, patients who are pregnant or breast feeding, and those with active dental and skin infections should avoid having this treatment too.
I was treated by another surgeon, but I don't see any results. Is there a reason for this?
Jaw reduction injection to the masseter is customized for every patient. There are a few reasons as to why the injections might not have created an improvement.
• There are many brands of Botulinum Toxin Type-A available. Be weary and avoid any other versions, which may be counterfeit, water-down versions, or "Chinese Botox" which can yield unreliable and potentially dangerous results.
• Poor technique - It is crucial that a skilled and experienced doctor carries out this procedure for you.
• Too few units - Each patient has a unique dosage, and treatments should be customized for his or her anatomy.
• Follow-up treatments - Masseter reduction treatments require a series of injections, so that each treatment can build of the last and have the most impact.
• Poor Habits- Those who do not discontinue chewing gum, consuming chewy foods and so on will have less dramatic results.
How many units of Botulinum Toxin are used for jaw reduction?
This is no set number of units or dosage used for jaw reduction injection, with a great variation based on the size of the muscle.
Is it every possible to reverse the results of jaw reduction injection?
Yes and no. As time goes on, the treated patient will be trained to not flex or use the masseter muscle with as much force. If a patient desires more bulk in the masseter area, they could chew gum, eat chewy foods, such as cuttle fish or tough meats, or flex the muscle more often.
How much does it cost to have the treatment?
We charge £300 for this treatment.